Campus News & Views

Western Student Press

Western Student Press

Campus News & Views

Western Student Press

SCCC Student Named NYS 2024 New Century Transfer Scholar and Recipient of the Prestigious David R. Pierce Scholarship

Joseph Gonzalez, a resident of West Babylon, was named New York State’s 2024 New Century Transfer Scholar and is a recipient of the prestigious 2024 Pierce Scholarship.

Suffolk County Community College’s (SCCC) Joseph Gonzalez has been named the New York State’s 2024 New Century Transfer Scholar. Over 2,200 students from more than 1,300 college campuses nationwide were nominated. Only one New Century Transfer Scholar is selected from each state. He will receive a $2,250 scholarship.

New Century Transfer Scholars are selected based on their academic accomplishments, leadership, activities, and how they extend their intellectual talents beyond the classroom. This program is sponsored by the Coca-Cola Foundation and the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, with additional support provided by the American Association of Community Colleges and Phi Theta Kappa.

Mr. Gonzalez is also the recipient of the prestigious David R. Pierce Scholarship. This scholarship is presented to the scholar selected each year from the All-USA Academic Team to represent and speak on behalf of the scholars at American Association of Community College’s Annual Convention. As the 2024 Pierce Scholar, Mr. Gonzalez will receive a $5,000 scholarship to be disbursed for the fall 2024 term.

Joseph, a Liberal Arts-History major from West Babylon, NY, excels with a 4.0 GPA and consecutive Dean’s List recognition for the last two years. He holds key leadership positions at the college, including PTK Chapter President, President of Student Veterans of America, Honors Club President, and History Club Vice President. He is a Get There From Here scholar, an EOP Tutor and a member of the prestigious 2024 All-USA Academic Team. He plans to attend Columbia University and study history

“At Suffolk County Community College, we uphold a commitment to excellence, fostering an academically challenging environment for our students,” stated Dr. Edward Bonahue, President of Suffolk County Community College. “Mr. Gonzalez’s remarkable achievements warrant the recognition he is receiving. In fact, the entire college community is looking forward to hearing about all he will do in the bright future that lies ahead of him.”