Campus News & Views

Western Student Press

Western Student Press

Campus News & Views

Western Student Press

In the Kitchen: Friends Don’t Let Friends Use Jarred Sauce

Homemade marinara is way easier than you think.
In the Kitchen: Friends Dont Let Friends Use Jarred Sauce

Whether tomato sauce, marinara, gravy, red sauce, the classic combination of tomato, garlic and basil lends itself to a variety of dishes and should be a staple of your culinary arsenal. Never again will you need to slather your spaghetti with the sugar pablum that is jarred sauce, laden with preservatives and fillers that would make my Italian grandmother spin like a top in her final resting place. Here is a basic marinara, designed to be quick, easy and tasty. Beyond using the sauce for pasta and dishes like steak pizzaiolo, you could easily supplement the recipe for other applications. Wanna sweat some onions or shallots with the garlic? Go right ahead! Add hunks of pork butt or short rib and cook low and slow for a few hours for a meaty ragu. After toasting the garlic, deglaze with vodka and add a splash of heavy cream for penne alla vodka. The pasta-bilities are endless!

Ingredients:

Two (2) 28oz cans of San Marzano tomatoes*

Eight cloves of garlic, sliced thin

One small bunch of fresh basil

Salt (a lot)

Extra virgin olive oil

Red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Empty cans of tomatoes into a bowl with their juices. Crush tomatoes with hands or a potato masher.
  2. Place heavy sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of oil. Once the oil shimmers in the pan, add sliced garlic and stir, cooking until fragrant.
  3. Once the garlic is golden add tomatoes, a half cup of water and a bunch of salt. Tomatoes need a lot of salt, so keep tasting and adding salt as you go. Jack up the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, before reducing to a simmer. Cook for 30-45 min or until the sauce has thickened to desired consistency. ALWAYS BE STIRRING. DO NOT LET THE SAUCE STICK. IT WILL BURN!
  4. Once sauce is finished, tear up basil leaves (I almost never put a knife to basil, as it will bruise) and stir into the sauce, along with the red pepper, if you’re using it. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.

*San Marzano is a region in Italy known for its flavorful tomatoes. They are slightly more expensive than other canned tomatoes, but it’s a premium I’m always willing to pay, for they make for a tastier, more delicious sauce and do not requite the addition of sugar. However, if you have a brand that you prefer, feel free to roll with that.