Campus News & Views

Western Student Press

Western Student Press

Campus News & Views

Western Student Press

SCCC Food Pantry Holds Food Drive.

Suffolk County Community College’s food pantry is launching a food drive to support its ongoing mission to help students in need. As prices continue to climb, the pantry provides crucial support to students by offering them access to food and other essentials, alleviating the burden of rising grocery bills.

The college encourages all students regardless of their situation to visit the pantry. While the institution cannot offer financial support for tuition or books, it recognizes the significant impact that a little help with food can have on students’ lives. A pantry visit can mean one less worry for students who are juggling classes, work, and other responsibilities.

The food pantry, located at the Grant Campus, has a rich history dating back to 1974 when it was founded by Sister Mary Anne Borello. Since then, it has expanded its reach and has supported thousands of people within the community. What started as a small initiative has now grown into an essential resource for many students, offering a diverse range of items that can be accessed, no questions asked.

Currently, the food pantry is seeking donations of nonperishable canned food items, condiments, personal hygiene products, cereal, peanut butter, and other essentials. These items play a crucial role in maintaining the pantry’s stock so that it can continue to serve students throughout the year.

The college is urging students, faculty, and staff, as well as the broader community, to contribute to the food drive. Donations can be made directly to the pantry, and every contribution helps ensure that no student has to choose between food and other necessities.

Donations for the campus food drive can be dropped off at various bins around campus, or brought to the Campus Activities office in Captree Commons Room 110 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Additionally, items can be delivered directly to the Food Pantry in Nesconsett Hall Room 11b on Tuesdays between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. For further information, you can contact the organizers at [email protected].